January 15, 2017

"Water Play" Series - Knife Painting

The 5 paintings below were painted in oils with a painting knife.  Each measures only 4"x5", with the edges of the canvas painted black.  I haven't done a lot of knife painting in the past, so when I picked out the photographs for these 5 paintings I was a bit intimidated by the amount of detail in them, especially for painting on canvases so small.  But I'm quite happy with the results.


Water Play #1

Water Play #2

Water Play #3

Water Play #4

Water Play #5

"Water Play #3" was chosen for Argyle Fine Art's Pre-Shrunk 2017 show.  See the previous posts Pre-Shrunk at Argyle Fine Art and Gallery Show - Pre-Shrunk 2016 to see the paintings I've done for previous Pre-Shrunk shows.

I've got a few more Water Play pictures picked out to paint as well.  All of these feature people I know and love enjoying the water in their own way.

And I'm definitely going to do more knife painting in the future.  I love not having to clean brushes!  I hated that part.  And I can use the paint strait from the tube, without having to mix it with thinner and/or oil.  That's a bonus.  I may even put together a plein air kit and paint outside a bit more, which is another thing I've been doing a lot of recently and really enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment