July 24, 2016

Paint Sea on Site

I took part in the Lunenburg "Paint Sea on Site" event last weekend, and had a blast!  The paintings were auctioned off both Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and I sold 3 of the 6 paintings I made.

Painting outside is fun, especially with 70 other artists around town doing the same thing, but it can also be a bit challenging.  For example, when painting "Lunenburg Dory" below I was saving the dory for last and painting everything around it, but then someone came over and said that they were taking the Dory out in a few minutes.  They said that they would be back in about an hour and put it back exactly as it was, but I managed to finish it just as they were leaving.  According to the number of bids, this was my most popular painting of the weekend.

"Lunenburg Dory" 8"x8" - SOLD


Also challenging was this painting "Rowers" below.  They were only in my view for a minute or two, but I instantly stopped and tried to paint what I could remember.  I fussed over it for the longest time, not quite happy with it, then threw in the buoys and called it done.

"Rowers" - 8"x8"


Below is the first painting I made during the event.  I took my time with this one, because I knew if it went well it would set the tone for the rest of the weekend. I was happy when I went to the community center the next morning and it was gone.  It must have sold!

"Boats in the Water" - 8"x8" - SOLD


There were a few locals that opened up their backyard gardens to the artists, and this painting "Daylilies" below is one I painted from one of these gardens.

"Daylilies" - 8"x8"


While walking back to the community center to drop of "Daylilies" I came across a small wild rose bush and painted this one below.  Other than "Lunenburg Dory" this was my favourite of the weekend.

"Wild Rose" - 8"x8"


For the last painting I did I struggled through the entire process. It had clouded over and we were getting a few scattered showers, which didn't help matters any.  I probably tried sketching this sailboat about 20 times, before finally grabbing a new canvas and starting over, this time with no pencil sketch since that didn't seem to be working. I found an umbrella to sit under at the restaurant my boyfriend was watching me from and kept struggling, now under cover.  By now I was torn between being "determined to make this painting work" and "ready to call it quits".  I choose "determined to make it work", and when I had finally run out of time I had something that I wasn't too embarrassed to show.  At the last minute, I put some ink outlines on it (that's what I do to fix paintings I'm not quite happy with) and put it up for auction.

As I entered the community center I met a collector who noticed that the painting I had in my hand was the same size as one she had bid on (all my paintings were done on 8"x8" canvas board).  She checked my name tag and saw that I was indeed the same artist, and followed my painting to the display area to make the first bid.  Unfortunately, in my frazzled state of mind at this point, I forgot to get a picture of it before it disappeared. 


Time to take what I've learned and get organized for "Paint the Town" in Annapolis Royal August 20 & 21!

No comments:

Post a Comment